Monday, November 28, 2016

More Demo!!

More stuff to take care of . . . . . .  A dormer had been added some time ago and had never had siding added to it.  We wanted it sided before winter came.  It had been tar papered and roofed but nothing else.  At our big demo party we had rented a power tile remover tool.  When we got to the house, the blade for it didn't fit right and it just didn't do the job.  We didn't get the tile removed.  Perry took the tool back to the rental business and they gave us a credit.  Perry was able to go back and get the right blade this time for it and they gave him a hand held one more like a jack hammer.  They said when he brought them back they would only charge him for the one that worked.  So we headed out for another Saturday at the house.  Miah and Brady came over from Ephraim to help.  We really appreciated it.  (Oct. 8, 2016)

Kitchen tile - To the left is another door not shown in this picture but we found tile laid over tile.  This kitchen area is in the original part of the house.  It is all adobe brick walls with plaster over the walls and then in some places sheet rock glued over that.

All cleaned up.  The square of tile on the floor  in the back is the trap door to our cold storage room.  Going to be moving that as we want cupboards and stove on this wall.  

This is the dormer in the roof.  It is in a small room put into the attic above the kitchen.  The room contains washer and dryer hook ups with the vent going out the side of this dormer.  We removed the vent, sided and added soffit and facia to it.

The next Saturday (Oct. 15) we went down to do some general clean up.  It is so hard to stay away!!!  We wish we could just spend all our time down there but real life carries on.  The laminate flooring in the family rooms and down the hall had to come up and we needed to take out more of the wall in the master bedroom/bathroom area.  
Family room

Master bedroom/bathroom area.  Shower stall still needs to come out.

Family room all cleaned up.  

The wiring in the whole house has been replaced which is nice because there is no dangerous knob and tube left.  HOWEVER . . .  whoever wired it did some really weird things.  For example,  the east wall of the family room is on the same breaker as the west wall of the office.  About half the rooms are on multiple breakers instead of being on the same one.  We have a bedroom and a garage with no power to anything so we knew we would have to do some rewiring.  So Perry decided the whole addition needs the sheet rock removed so we can see exactly what is going on with the wiring.  We only want to remove the sheet rock on the interior walls as we wanted the extra insulation for the walls over the winter.  So the next trip (Oct. 29)  we started that process.   Alex and Leslie were our helpers for this portion.  Leslie and I loaded the truck and made trips to the dump while they removed sheet rock.  We made 3 trips.  

This is an area in the hall off the garage.  It almost looked like it was a cooking area for another apartment.  Hotplate maybe?  When we removed the sheet rock we found yet another set of washer dryer hookups in the wall.  We think it is the one the neighbor told us that the drain went into the ground under the house?!?!  We are going to put a mudroom type area here; bench, cubbyholes, hooks, etc.

Family room sheet rock coming off.  We are also opening up the wall above the doorway.  We removed the door and plan on leaving the hall open.  The hole in the wall was a decorative?  cubby in the family room.  There is a gas line by this wall so we are planing on putting in a gas fireplace here.  This wall is one of our lovely walls that are 2 separate 2x6 walls back to back.  Plenty deep for the fireplace without it sticking out into the room too far. 

Sheet rock removed, door header out.

Mudroom area.  Room behind it is one with out power.  Plugs and lights and electric heater in it but no power getting to any of it.  You can't see the washer dryer hook ups.  
This was our surprise for the day.  Found it in the room behind mudroom area.  No idea what it goes too or if it is hooked up.  It's on!!  😁

So just to explain.  The first addition was added in 1994?  It was the two family rooms. Originally they were a family room and bedroom.  This was added directly onto the back of the original house.  The exterior wall of the old house was partially removed, a load bearing beam added and the rooms added.  This made the kitchen open to the family room.  Next in about 2000 a garage and utility room was added onto that addition.  This left a U shaped opening in the west side of the house which it looks like was some sort of patio.  Some time in 2005 the u shaped opening was closed in by framing inside the existing exterior walls therefore giving us 2 walls with 2x6 double walls.  And then we have no idea when it was all turned into apartments with more interior walls and doors added.  

And so it goes!!  See you next post!!  I'm almost caught up to real time!!!  One more post to go!!


No comments:

Post a Comment