Sunday, September 17, 2017

Spring in Fountain Green

Spring in Fountain Green

       So our master plan calls for re-doing the yard after the house.  BUT....  I love yard work and can not leave it alone.  While Perry is busy inside or sometimes not there with me, I work in the yard.  Spring brought some wonderful surprises in the flower beds.


                                                                                                                         Flowering Crab and one                                                                                                                              weed free flower bed.


Every flower bed is full of weeds and grass.  The lawn grass is almost non-existent, it is just weeds.  We water and mow and one area in front is starting to be more grass than weeds.  The house was a rental for several years then was repossessed and sat empty for 9 months before we bought it.  That nine months was from January to September.  We have dead trees from lack of water, more weeds than grass and enough weeding to keep an army busy for a month.  But I love bringing it back to its intended beauty.
My mom and I planted a vegetable garden.  Perry rota-tilled up a weed filled area in the back of the house.  It was full of weed block which was obviously not working. It also had two big rubber mats under about 3 inches of dirt.  We think at one time it was a sand box.  I have been finding match box cars every time I weed.   I was so excited to be able to transplant some of my raspberry plants.  I planted 42 in the spring and I have 10 left.  I was expecting that.  In Cedar Hills I planted 3 rows, 2 x and ended up with 3 plants.  In just a couple of years, I had 2 - 25 ft. rows.  So as long as I have some plants that survive I can get my two rows from starts.




The garden has actually done really well, weeds and all.  We have got zucchini, tomatoes and cucumbers.  They raspberries are actually trying to bloom.  The grasshoppers are pretty bad from the field but a little bug spray has helped.  I spent 7 hours weeding last weekend.  The wild geraniums are as tall as the plants.  Oh well.  It will get better over the years.   And it does my heart good to see vegetables and raspberries growing.



No comments:

Post a Comment